Maredsous Abbey is a Benedictine monastery located in Denée, Belgium. The abbey is known for its production of beer, cheese, and other artisanal products, and is a popular tourist destination for visitors interested in the history and traditions of monastic life.
Location of the abbey
Maredsous Abbey is a Benedictine monastery situated in the town of Denée, in the province of Namur, Belgium. The abbey is located in the Walloon region of Belgium, near the Meuse River, and is surrounded by forests and rolling hills. The town of Denée is located approximately 60 km southeast of Brussels and is known for its rich history and cultural heritage. The abbey is a popular tourist destination for visitors interested in the history and traditions of monastic life, and is known for its production of beer, cheese, and other artisanal products.
History of the abbey
Maredsous Abbey was founded in 1872 by the Benedictine monks of Saint-Vincent Abbey in Leuven, Belgium. The abbey was established as a daughter house of Saint-Vincent, and was part of a larger movement of monastic revival that took place in Belgium during the 19th century. Today, the Benedictine monks of Maredsous continue to live according to the Rule of Saint Benedict, which emphasizes the importance of work, prayer, and community life.
Thing to visit at the abbey
- Monastic Church: The abbey’s monastic church is a beautiful example of Gothic architecture, and is open to visitors for Mass and other religious services.
- Museum: The museum provides an insight into the history of the abbey and the monastic way of life.
- Artisanal Shops: The abbey offers a variety of artisanal products, including beer, cheese, honey, chocolate, and jams, which are available for purchase in the abbey’s shop.
- Gardens and Grounds: The abbey’s grounds include several gardens, including a vegetable garden, an herb garden, and a rose garden, as well as a nature trail that offers beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
- Monastic Library: The abbey’s library is home to a collection of books and manuscripts that date back to the Middle Ages.
- Guest Accommodations: The abbey also offers guest accommodations for those interested in experiencing monastic life firsthand. You can also find possibilities with the Bonsoy bungalows such as the Woody House.
Abbey beer and cheese
The abbey is known for its production of beer and cheese, which are made using traditional monastic methods and the finest natural ingredients. The abbey’s beer is available in several varieties, including blonde, dubbel, and tripel, and is widely regarded as some of the best in Belgium. The abbey’s cheese is also of high quality, and is available in several varieties, including Maredsous cheese and Maredsous tomme.
Maredsous Abbey is a unique destination that offers a glimpse into the history and traditions of monastic life. Whether you’re interested in visiting the abbey’s monastic church, exploring the museum, trying the artisanal products, or simply enjoying the serene setting, Maredsous Abbey is a must-visit destination in Belgium.
Leave a Reply